Friday, February 18, 2011

Letters to My Lovers

To Glory,

You entice me.  To be seen, and not only respected, but venerated by others, that is what I crave.  To be a wise man that others would look to, that is my soul's desire.  But you know that I would never have enough.  I would drink deep from the cup that you give me, full of strong wine that only increases insatiable thirst.  In my own gluttony for you I would choke and violently gasp for breath, yet still drink.  For you would drive me to demand more of you, and to crush all that would look to me, so that we might reign together.  Glory, you will betray me.

Sincerely,
Selfish Heart


To Wrath,

You are who I fear most of all.  Your arms are so inviting, and your speech is sweet.  You would see my hurt and encourage retribution.  To strike out at all in my path so my might would be known.  We two would reign and carefully destroy all who would dare to question, or pity, me.  But you would feed on me, wouldn't you?  With quiet anger, I would silently lash out at all but you, and you would stand by my side.  Never supporting, never uplifting, but whispering in my ear that more is needed.  That the manifestation of my righteousness must be known, and only with you can this be achieved.  And while you speak to me in a snake's tongue, my heart would grow cold and embittered, sending my soul into despair.  A deafening despair that would lead me to see death as the only respite.  Wrath, you most powerful of demons, you will destroy me.

Sincerely,
Worm of a Man


To Christ, My Savior,

How can I serve you Lord, when my flesh rages against you?  Should I seek my other lovers, you would look to me, and with divine might, whisper, "No."  With a still small voice your Spirit reaches to the very depths of my soul and delivers me from my fears.  My glory would be graciously crushed, so that yours would be known.
This is how I may serve you, to love your people.  Not by my own will, but by yours.  When I am surrounded by your enemies, when I am led into despair, when I turn from your glory, your right hand will uphold me.  Having already died, it is no longer I who live, but you who live through me.  Because of your death and your ultimate love, I will be able to look to others, and see your glory through them.
Praise be to you, My Christ! My King!  You would have me serve none but you, and in humble slavery, know the Creator.  With you, all of life shall be joy!  Not fleeting passion, but peaceful joy!  In life, I will struggle and fight for your name, and in death, I will kneel at your feet.  Your glory will be proclaimed, the oppressed will be uplifted, and the mighty will tremble at the mention of your name!  In you, I will no longer think of myself.  In you, we shall live in eternal relationship with God, the Father.
Rise up my brothers and sisters!  Rise and hear the call of the Lord!  We are his chosen ones, the saints called for His ministry!  May we be revolutionary in this sense, that we would die to ourselves.  That we would suffer for His kingdom.  Let those who seek to find contentment in the world see that being of the world is death, and that being enslaved to Christ is life.

Love,
The One Whom You Loved First

1 Peter 1:3-9
Ephesians 1:3-14
Colossians 1:15-23
Colossians 3:1-17
Phillipians 2:1-11
Galatians 2:20
Psalm 1:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment